Monday, October 09, 2006

10/9/06: Day 87 (Mon.) Is the well going dry?

Evan is eating and growing like a champ! Just today I noticed his head isn't looking as small as it did. :-) According to his weight, he needs to eat about 400 calories to gain weight.

My BM supply is starting to dwindle and I've resorted to the wives' tales to try to increase my supply: warm compresses, herbal tea, Fenugreek herbal supplements. None of those are making a big difference. We used up all my frozen supply, so we now have to supplement with formula. I have to pump about 3 times to equal one of his feedings, it's getting hard to keep up.

Evan is drinking a formula for preemies (Enfamil Enfasure Lipil). It has 22 calories per ounce versus regular formula which is 20 calories per ounce. We have to adjust the powder to water ratio to make it 24 calories per ounce just to give him a bit more calories. Throughout the day, those extra calories add up. Since the formula is thicker, Evan doesn't drink it down as quickly as he does expressed BM. During the night, he is b-feeding pretty well, but I don't think he is getting enough volume and he ends up being hungry the next hour. I hated having to give him formula, but the well seems to be going dry!
-----------
Chronological age: 3 months 0 weeks and 3 days
Adjusted/developmental age: 3 weeks and 2 days
-----------

No comments: